UNESCO world heritage site ...
The old Mediterranean port of Kotor is surrounded by an impressive city wall built by the Republic of Venice and Venetian influence remains
predominant in the city's architecture. In recent years, Kotor has seen a steady increase in tourists, attracted by both the natural beauty
of the Gulf of Kotor and the old town of Kotor itself.
The culturo-historical region of Kotor has exerted considerable influence, over a span of time and within a cultural area of the world, on
developments in architecture and human settlement. Kotor and its neighbours were main bridgeheads of Venice on the southern Adriatic coast.
Its art, goldsmithing and architecture schools had a profound and durable influence on the arts of the coast. It is among the most
characteristic examples of a type of structure representing important cultural, social and artistic values. It is considered to possess
outstanding universal value by the quality of its architecture, the successful integration of its cities to the Gulf of Kotor and by its
unique testimony to the exceptionally important role that it played in the diffusion of Mediterranean culture in the Balkan lands.
Founded by the Romans on the Adriatic coast in Montenegro, Kotor developed in the Middle Ages into an important commercial and artistic centre
with its own famous schools of masonry and iconography. Throughout the centuries, many empires battled for control of the city. In the 10th
century, it was an autonomous city of the Byzantine Empire. From 1186 to 1371, it was a free city of medieval Serbia. It was under Venetian
and Hungarian control for brief periods, an independent republic from 1395 to 1420, and then returned to Venetian control once again. French
occupation from 1807 to 1914 was followed by Austrian rule until 1918, when Kotor finally became part of Yugoslavia. Throughout its turbulent
history, a variety of buildings have been erected. The largest and most impressive of these is the St Tryphon Cathedral. The original church
was constructed in the 8th century, according to the annals of the Byzantine Emperor. A new church, built in 1166, was subsequently damaged
during the 1667 earthquake and then restored.
The limits of the World Heritage site coincide approximately with the crests of the natural sinkhole formation. At both ends, the site is bordered
by the national parks of Orten and Lovcen, making a vast protected natural area. The Gulf of Tivat (formerly part of the approaches to Kotor) is omitted
because of the authenticity of its settlements, which has been downgraded by recent industrialization (shipyards, harbour equipment).
Most of Kotor's palaces and houses, many Romanesque churches, all of Dobrota's palaces, and Perast's main buildings have all suffered from
earthquakes, and some have been partly destroyed. The city was evacuated by all its inhabitants after the most recent, on 15 April 1979. An
intensive restoration and reconstruction programme has now been completed and the city is flourishing again.
Oficial web page of Kotor Tourist Organisation is on address kotor.travel.